Mel Robbins’ 5 Simple Habits to Change Your Life
Mel Robbins: The 5 Simple Habits to Change Your Life
For over a decade, motivational powerhouse, best-selling author, TV host, and mom of three, Mel Robbins, has been sharing her wisdom and opening up about the trials and tribulations of her life. After 40 years of facing the challenges of life, Mel figured out how to alter her daily habits to become a happier, successful, and better version of herself.
Mel has developed 5 key habits grounded in psychological research to enhance your productivity by developing new brain pathways and a more positive mindset.
- High Five Yourself (The High 5 Habit)
We are constantly giving others praise for their accomplishments and often forget to give it to the most important person… YOU! Take a minute every morning or even when you need a quick break from a stressful day and do these two steps:
Step 1: Stand in front of the mirror. Take notice of your body, mind, and the energy they are giving you. Reflect on your goals.
Step 2: Now give yourself a high five - literally. High five your reflection.
By doing this you’re starting your day in a positive state. Your mind may go quiet, you might feel a burst of energy, or get a sense of comfort. You’ll be more likely to take action and feel all the possibilities around you. Practice high-fiving yourself every morning and give it 5 days. You may be surprised.
- High Five Your Heart
Research shows that without addressing and settling your anxiety, you won't be able to make any effective and lasting changes. So developing this habit is a great way to settle your mind (even if it's just for a moment) and connect back to what really matters.
Here’s how you do it:
- Take a deep breath, close your eyes, and put your hands on your heart.
- Next, tell yourself these 3 things: “I am okay. I am safe. I am loved”.
Pro tip: If you want to take this a step further, add your name to each statement. Doing this allows you to separate yourself from the inner voice that's talking to you and activate a concept in psychology called “the power of objectivity”.
- The Five Second Rule
This one is so simple yet ACTUALLY works. Mel invented this trick in one of the most trying and challenging times of her life. It started as a tool to just get her out of bed and start the day. It has since become a global phenomenon that continues to change millions of lives.
Here’s how you do it:
- When you feel some hesitation creeping in before you're about to do something, count 5-4-3-2-1-GO and move.
Every one of us has a five-second window between the moment we have an instinct to change and the moment our mind kills it. By counting down, you’re distracting yourself from any worries or excuses your brain might release before doing something.
- Your Alarm Rings, You’re Up.
This one sounds daunting and requires some self discipline but that’s how change is made. This habit may seem predictable and not the most intriguing… but it works and here's why:
- Hitting that snooze button can actually kill your productivity. How? Something called sleep inertia. Since we sleep in cycles, once that alarm rings and you're awake, falling back asleep restarts that cycle. This means that once you finally wake up for the 2nd or 3rd time, the part of your brain responsible for alertness is still in the sleep cycle.
- It changes your reason for getting up. When you wake up and start your day off that first alarm, you’re getting up for YOURSELF, to start your day as the most productive and alert version of you.
This goes hand-in-hand with the Five Second Rule. So starting tomorrow… alarm goes off, 5-4-3-2-1-UP. No snooze. You got this.
- Be Kind To YOURSELF.
This step might be the most important of them all. Research shows that practicing self-love and respect is the positive habit we do the least, yet it holds the most power to change our lives.
Funny how that works, isn't it?
Here are 2 simple steps to help be kinder to yourself:
- Change or lower your expectations to fit a situation. Remember that it’s OKAY to be stressed out or doing less than anticipated.
- Celebrate the little wins. We need to start appreciating and celebrating ourselves for everything we do and not just when we get a promotion, an A+, or appraisal. Every day that you wake up and get out of bed is a win. Every time you make your bed, that's a win. Getting through the day = WIN.
You are AMAZING and hold so much more power than you give yourself credit for. It's time to start celebrating everything you do because let's be honest, life isn't easy!
There you have it, 5 simple mindset altering habits to positively transform how you live your life and improve how you feel. They may seem minor but once you incorporate each one into your daily routine, you’ll feel the power they hold!
Eufora is honored to host Mel Robbins at Eufora Global Connection 2022 as our keynote speaker.
Eufora Global Connection is 2 days of creativity, beauty, and community for our salons and stylists across the world. This unforgettable experience features inspiring runway shows, guest speakers, hands on breakouts, and an evening celebration and award ceremony.